I started quilting in 2006, and most of the quilts I have completed have been given to friends and family as gifts. Recently Calvin started to get a little quilt envy. So we set out to make him a quilt of his very own.
The pattern I wanted to use was Fractured Quilt from Quilting Modern by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pedersen. It is a wonderful book with lots of good quilting inspo. And I agreed to make it nice and big for him to cuddle with on the sofa (he’s a strapping 6’3″). However, I made the mistake of agreeing to let him pick whatever fabrics he wanted. Calvin made it clear that he wanted his quilt to be BRIGHT. We settled on blue and green with a pop of yellow. A yellow so bright, I had to special order it from JoAnns. So bright that I sometimes felt compelled to wear sunglasses while working on it.
Once my special order, face of the sun yellow fabric arrived, I got to work on making my improve string blocks. This project was really fun in the beginning, but by the end I was a little tired of having random strips of fabric all over my sewing room. We decided that this quilt would be called “99 problems, but a stitch ain’t one” in honor of the 99 blocks that comprise it.
For the back I wanted to go with a nice solid blue or brown, Calvin wanted gray. Since we couldn’t seem to agree we settled on a beautiful African wax block print from Crimson Tate. Making it EVEN MORE BRIGHT, if that was even possible.
On a side note, the back for Calvin’s quilt was purchased during the first of what would become many trips to Crimson Tate. And I completely fell in LOVE. Heather, the owner of Crimson Tate is the most bubbly, energetic, supportive, and informative quilter I have met.
Back to Calvin’s quilt… For the quilting I decided on an orange thread to give it even more brightness and to tie in with the bright green and orange binding that Calvin wanted. I gave it my first go at free motion quilting with this quilt as well. I started making a square spiral centered on the middle of the fractured quilt pattern. When the spiral got too big for me to wrestle free motion wise, I switched to straight line quilting on the diagonal. I didn’t follow any pre determined widths, and just ran it through the machine willy nilly. It was actually very liberating, and I am very pleased with how it turned out. I think Calvin likes it too.